As time passes, black mold exposure can cause serious health problems to adults, children, and pets. Kids and pets are especially prone to health problems related to mold exposure, so make sure you understand how to prevent mold and what to do if you find mold in your house. Here’s some useful information you ought to know in case your family encounters a mold problem:
- How does black mold affect children?
Black mold can affect the health of children through inhalation, ingestion, or absorption through the skin or eyes of mold spores. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), indoor black mold exposure is related to respiratory illness in otherwise healthy children. In addition, black mold exposure can result in the development of asthma in some children, especially those who are genetically vulnerable to asthma development.
- What are the symptoms of black mold exposure in children?
Children that are allergic to mold may reveal symptoms such as sneezing, runny noses, itchy eyes, coughing, and wheezing. Black mold exposure may also cause irritant reactions in sensitive kids, for example, skin irritations, eye irritations, or headaches. People who suffer from asthma can show asthmatic symptoms such as wheezing, coughing, chest tightness, and shortness of breath.
- What type of doctor should I find concerning mold exposure?
The CDC recommends that you should consult a family or general health care provider that will consult with a specialist if necessary. The type of specialist depends on the health problem. Allergists treat patients with mold allergies, and infectious disease doctors treat mold infections, and sinus doctors treat lung infections.
- How does black mold affect pets?
When undergoing long-term mold exposure, pets may exhibit symptoms such as respiratory difficulties, pulmonary hemorrhage, nose bleeds, runny noses, lethargy, and much more. Make certain that you keep your pet away from moldy food and environments. Take your pet to the vet promptly if they show mold exposure symptoms.
- Where could black mold be found in houses?
Black mold thrives in hot and damp environments, like basements, bathrooms, and kitchens. To avoid mold problems in your home, make sure that there are not any leaks which cause water damage. Use fans and dehumidifiers to keep the humidity in your home between 40% and 50%. Learn more mold prevention tips here. Click this link to learn more.
- How do I address a mold problem in my property?
If the mold issue is big in scale (the affected region is bigger than 10 square feet), then it is very important to seek the services of professionals to remove the mold. They can eliminate the mold quickly and efficiently by means of technical equipment and processes. For a little mold infestation, you can consider removing it yourself by simply following these tips.
To find out more about how to take care of small-scale mold issues in your house, have a look at our tips to remove mold from the bathroom, cellar, and kitchen, in addition to unexpected areas in the house. For skilled fire, water, mold removal, and other disaster restoration solutions, contact your local PuroClean office.