For small infestations, a mix of home detergent and water combined with a sponge or brush may be all that’s necessary to remove mold from the timber in your home. In some more demanding cases, careful sanding or even replacement is called for. But keep in mind that mold spores can be dangerous, so many infestations should be evaluated by professionals with the correct training and removal procedures.
Here are some things to consider when attempting to eliminate mold from wood surfaces:
- Dip a soft brush or sponge into the mixture and wash off the mold from the wood surfaces. As soon as you have eliminated signs of the mold, you might be tempted to provide the wood a last rinse. Don’t do this. Additional water could trigger new mold growth on the timber, negating your efforts. Your goal is to dry the area and make it less likely to support mold growth as soon as possible.
- Don’t use bleach. Porous surfaces such as wood and shingles give the mold plenty of nooks and crannies to hide in carrying mold spores out of reach of even the most attentive bleach scrub. The mold will just re-grow from within these micro-crevices soon after you complete them. Also, bleach loses its ability to kill mold rapidly after it’s produced. Lastly, bleach is a powerful chemical, posing risks to your own eyes, skin, and kids.
- If cleaning the mold from the timber has left stains behind, you may need to sand the stains away. Utilize the finest sandpaper you can that gets the work done. Some hardware stores sell a little number of packs of distinct self. Be sure to wear protective equipment as mold spores can be released through sanding and these can make you sick. Cheap, flexible N95 masks are available in the hardware store.
- Another choice would be to get the timber removed, replaced, and lost. Often wood replacement requires less time and effort than you might expect in relation to the labor intensiveness of cleaning big or hard wooden surfaces.
- As soon as you’ve eliminated the mold from the wooden things, use a HEPA vacuum cleaner to trap mold spores from the atmosphere. Most store vacuums do not have a filter capable of freezing mold spores. Some home cleansers, like the ones from Dyson, have built-in HEPA filtering, but you should use caution when emptying the debris into the trash.
- If you’re unsure how to proceed and particularly for areas larger than 10 square feet, then speak to a professional mold remediation business. They can help you determine if cleaning the mold is achievable or if replacement is more preferable. They can also offer you tips on products and techniques to use — or just handle the cleanup for you. The correct strategy may save your premises, but it may also help you prevent getting ill from the spores. Visit them here to learn more.
When it comes to mold development issues, prevention is your best medicine. Keep the indoor humidity to a minimum and repair water leaks. For any mold issue that covers more than 10 square feet, or that you are not comfortable cleaning yourself, please contact your regional PuroClean office or visit their website puroclean.com for more information.